Friday, October 1, 2010

Bridal Shower Monetary

carbide lamp works

Here are some pictures from the development of my highly professional carbide lamp. It was a lot of work, and it is accordingly made a lot of pictures. Hopefully I can do before they post to Blogger throws me out oO When you upload the pictures it has just been on strike ;-)

For the impatient: Yes working, the light :-) The evidence available at the end of the (loooong) posts.

first time had I have to change a few small parts for my purposes a little:






No one needs as many threads; -) The smaller Gewindestückchen top of the image are waste, the lower I will continue using it. One of them is the connection for the burner tube and the other cut I wanted, to the water tank, not so much do not have usable water.



This was until a few hours my (also homemade) test Fanfare in F ^. ^ Sorry, I needed the tuning slides as an outlet for the water. From the idea with the "big" water valves from the last post for carbide lamp I am now ready to come, they are simply too vague for my purposes.

The pipe from the water tank to the reaction vessel.

The wire is as an extended "drip edge" act in the hope that the water droplets always walk along a good boy to him =)

brush with flux before soldering.


This last picture deserves a few words of explanation. The tube with the tail on the left comes from an air conditioner. Obviously, the end piece is welded, so I solve it with the torch could not ~. ~
But since they seem to have used non-standard DIY copper pipe, it can be easy in the standard tube of the right solder. No fittings, no transition joints fit, just like that =) before

The burner tube ...

... and after soldering. The fact that I'm going to remember it, of course, I soldered wrong way in about an hour ;-) Typical Chris ^. ^
Here comes the water tank. A metal cup, which has previously included once bitter orange marmalade. I always knew that the stuff is anything but good ;-)


I will hear nothing of targets for better or so ;-)
Now comes the most important part: the valve for the water. It should be so accurate that one to about 2 drops of water can drip per second on the carbide without first trying for half an hour have to take the right attitude. Besides, it should still be possible, vibration-resistant.
Here the solution:




Two brass tubes over each other (the old fanfare tuning slide) that you can rotate against each other, each with a 3mm hole. The setting is really so very well possible, but unfortunately we know from the outside is not really how far you must turn. I'm still working on this problem ;-)

Now to seal the water tanks. From the idea with the green massacred aquarium hose, but then I am ready to come to the bottom of the cup was too shaky for that. In the end, had to serve the good old silicon.

stabilization of the soil with a disk. Inside, one more.
The water tank installed tube, still without silicone. The white mass on the tube (probably silicone) was already tuned ;-)

The aluminum profile in the next picture was supposed to stabilize the lid of the marmalade jar. Unfortunately, I've managed it for lack of tools to get to 20mm holes in the profile oO
So I had to end abuse in the absence washers also reduced key rings as stabilizers.

Arrrgh oO

The lid of the reactor with the two holes for water and gas.
Here, the assembled cover. Well, almost finished, the burner tube must be soldered or ;-)


The final reaction vessel with cover =) Yes, yes, nearly ready ...


NOW I have to rewire the burner tube, because I used to the water tank spacewise not accommodate more oO

can already better.

The squashed flat tube for adjusting the water flow. Only at the end I noticed that I had to solder it up yet, otherwise I would burn the nose comes out gas that is otherwise too ;-)

now . It ^ ^ This exciting slowly all parts of the lamp, ready to be sealed:


Then I noticed that I indeed had no burner. Since yesterday evening I am the proud owner of a soapstone (Many thanks to the evangelical church Rudow, it lived during the rest of the brass band test ;-). From such stones traditionally the burner nozzles were produced for carbide lamps. Well for one guy:

Soapstone before processing. I will only need a small piece of it.

This is the burner nozzle. So far, no hole ^. ^


The last photo is with a hole, even if no one will recognize. Now at last the test of the whole structure. Here, an assembled lamp



Now I need a calcium carbide (CaC ₂). This it was cheap on eBay =)


What to do everything not to ... ^. ^

The contents of the can.

Here's my little Karbidklumpen-thing to test the lamp =)
So the carbide in the jam ... ääh ... down reactor, water in the tank ...


... and off you go. Here's my bit of failed Attempt to photograph water droplets. Just to think ;-)


a little wait, hoping that the response (yes, quite exothermic OO), the glass does not break or jam melts ... light at the Specksteindüse and .... Tadaaaaaa:


And because the flame is such a great color here again without a flash (click to enlarge, as always, the pictures are extra without subtitles oO):


Well, if this has not been successful. Next stage of the project: The whole thing has to be made windproof - and then seems to's bike ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment